Monday, July 30, 2007

The Right Choice

He showed up this morning
looking like a crack addict.
Eyes wild.
Hair unkempt.
Unable to look at me
when he told his story
of the “family emergency”
that kept him from coming to work this weekend.
Now,
he arrives an hour and a half late
and wants me to give him three hundred dollars
before he even starts
so he can go buy tools from a pawn shop.
His were stolen from him this weekend.
I want to help the guy,
but I’m not stupid.
He says he can run get his computer and I can keep it as collateral.
The whole thing reminds me of the panhandlers I see on the street
in downtown Nashville.
They tell me stories of coming back from the war,
and broken down cars, and pregnant wives they need to get to the hospital.
I turn them down over thirty-five cents.
I don’t think I’m going to be handing out three hundred dollars
to someone I don’t know
who hasn’t shown up on time once.
I tell him I don’t think it’s going to work out.
He leaves.
I think I made the right choice.

No comments: