Monday, July 16, 2007

All Shook Up

It isn’t the tie rods,
or the ball joints,
or the alignment,
or the struts.
It isn’t the set of tires,
or the glove box,
or the windshield.
I’ve changed and eliminated just about everything it could possibly be
and it still shakes.
It rattles around like Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang
without the fun of the flying machine.
I keep getting sent from mechanic to mechanic
and no one can solve it.
I feel like the patient with the mystery pain
in her back,
the one that doesn’t show up on x-ray or MRI.
It’s like my car has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
No one can solve what’s wrong.
Meanwhile I keep driving
back and forth
over road and hill
juggling all the way.
I keep thinking if I try just this one last thing
it will solve it.
But it never does.
Last night,
I watched a Texas minister on t.v.
telling me to “wait expectantly;.”
God has heard my desires.
I bet he never drove a twenty-year old Volvo.
He’s driving around in some brand new Mercedes convertible
with his blonde wife next to him
laughing as the sun bounces off her diamond ring
right into her eyes.

No comments: