Thursday, April 02, 2009

Trouble The Wind

The last few days
have been nothing
but storms.
One threat after another.
They haven’t added up to much of anything
until today.
They said a tornado touched down at the airport
and for the last three hours there has been constant thunder
and lightning.
Centennial park is under water
And there is so much water coming down my driveway
Right now it looks like a Slip and Slide.
I’ve been on edge all day.
Last night, my power went out
and I lay awake in total darkness
sure that someone had cut the lines and was planning on killing me.
Thankfully, I finally fell asleep, and when the power came back on around 7:30 in the morning,
I realized I was still alive.
Now, the lights are off again,
just as the sky and my thoughts,
have turned incredibly dark.
I keep watching the news hoping the worst is over
and that whatever this thing is/was
has made its way to some other place
or worn itself out.
I used to just laugh at storms.
Trouble used to sit on the hill in the center of them
and watch the wind blow and the lightning come.
He never flinched,
until it started raining.
Then he’d come down
and get in bed with me
and we’d listen to the lightening together.
Now that he’s gone,
I feel afraid
when the wind blows.

No comments: