Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Artificial Butter

The truth is
I hate MySpace
and Facebook and all those so called “friend” sights.
I am sick of trying to connect with people I don’t know
and don’t care about
all because that is what everybody else is doing right now
to feel connected,
to feel like they belong.
But I don’t think anyone feels like they really belong.
At least I don’t.
Having a virtual friend on a monitor
isn’t the same thing as going to the Dairy Dip with someone and
sharing a sundae,
or going to the movies and laughing while taking turns
at the big
tub of popcorn
with the real artificial butter on it.
Intimacy has been replaced by seconds
and pictures and abbreviations.
Short-hand emotions.
The art of the conversation is dying.
I don’t think anyone knows how to look anyone in the eye anymore,
unless it’s through a computer lens.

No comments: