Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Rum Punch

It isn’t the severed head on the block
that frightens me,
or the way corn is two for a dollar
in December,
or how faces smile without meaning
as they pass in red Fords.
Yes,
my stockings are hung.
Red and green with moose heads and bear.
Labels still attached for a return I’ll never make.
And what of it?
It’s nothing,
I promise.
It’s just,
sometimes a girl
wants to be a girl,
and wear short skirts and heels
and dance to the Talking Heads
while nobody is watching.
Boots clicking on wooden floors,
hips swaying in search of rum punch
and love.
Look,
over in the corner,
the mistletoe is hung.
Christmas is coming.
See.
There’s no way of stopping it.
It will be here in a week
with ribbons and bows
and packages some will never unwrap.
And I will return to my tree,
the tabletop one with the needles dropping,
and I will kiss the ornaments,
each and everyone,
and pray they survive
another year. 

No comments: