Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Lunacy


There must be some way
to drink down
lunacy.
To enjoy it in long sips
like a fine black tea
or a glass of wine.
Most of my life,
I have tried to hide from it,
keeping my head down,
scared turtle-like
hoping it would pass over me,
like some weird cumulus cloud
on its way to somewhere else.
But that has never worked.
When I feel lunacy coming near me
my body stiffens,
as if someone had poured green slime
down my back.
I feel the cold on my neck and the sick feeling
settling into my stomach.
I walk around the house unable to turn my head,
unable to get out of the way of future assaults. 
When someone asks me about it,
I want to say, “It isn’t me.   I’m not the one.
These aren’t my people.”
But that’s a lie.
I come from lunacy.
It is as much a part of me
as the mole on my right hand,
or my jagged fingernails,
the ones I have bitten down to the quick,
just like my mother. 

No comments: