Friday, August 01, 2008

I'm O.K.

When I am in her room,
I am safe.
The days of panic,
the mornings of fear,
seem distant
standing on that purple mat watching her eyes
stare back at me.
She is the voice I have been missing,
the soft cool sound inside my head,
the one that tells me everything is alright.
When she is beside me
I can slow down,
I can be.
I can stop to feel my toes and take time to plant my feet.
I can be with my breath knowing she won’t leave
and neither will I.
I never knew calm before her.
I never knew safe.
I never knew let go.
I always thought I had to run like a cockroach,
scurrying from room to room.
70miles per hour.
100 miles per hour.
Never being still long enough to feel.
I wore myself ragged over every crisis big and small.
All because no one ever said,
“you’re o.k. You’re o.k.”

No comments: