Monday, May 21, 2007

Southern Goodness

I am trying not to react
to the stupidity of others,
the kind that left my dog dead
and leaves me waiting
forty-five minutes for a ten o’clock appointment.
It is so hard to be kind,
to stop and remember
the goodness of people.
Here
in the South,
the slow speech labors
and hangs
like a black python
in the trees
waiting to fall.
It is either
the pronunciation
or the slowness
that leaves me wondering
if the brain is working
at all.
I have seen men treat their dogs
like punching bags.
Mothers treat their children
like rags.
“Christians”
who haven’t a clue as to what spirituality is,
shove Bible verses and righteousness
down the throats of others
in the name of God.
I have seen ignorance
about gays,
and blacks,
and Jews,
and thought
as thick as grits and gravy.
I have felt myself curl inward
and away
and questioned how so many lives
can be about nothing more
than Doritos and beer.

No comments: