Wednesday, May 23, 2007

New Love

I guess I need him.
I thought I didn’t.
I thought there was only one for me.
The difficult one,
the one who barked and demanded
and ran my life.
The one who gave me headaches
every time he got in the car.
The one who humped his bed
after every meal.
The one who kept me as his own.
The one who raised me to take care of him.
The one who acted like it was his house
and I was lucky to get to live in it with him.
That is what I was used to,
the nervous one.
The one who woke me with a start
and kept me going all day.
The one who guilted me
into long walks and overindulgences.
The one who would never take nice
no matter how many times I asked.
I loved that one.
But now I am falling in love with
a different one.
One who is quiet and calm
and asks for so little
it makes me worry.
He is content to lie at my feet
and eat what is given.
He is soulful and at peace.
He is a teddy bear
I can’t stop holding.
Yes,
I am falling in love.

No comments: