Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Time

It is a strange thing
to hold one’s position,
to decide that you cannot change
directions
in mid-stream,
to sit steadfast in your intention
regardless of the temptations
put before you.
For too long now,
I have given up
what is mine.
I have let myself be swept away
into the mire
of others.
I have watched the years come and go
with promises of tomorrow
and the threat of changed behavior.
But tomorrow is tomorrow is tomorrow.
Soon
there will only be
what could have been.
I tell myself that
when I choose the remote
over my guitar.
Or when I choose the phone
over my pen.
I tell myself that
when I walk out the door
in search of something
I really don’t need.
I tell myself that
when I run to my lover
instead of to myself.
My prayer is simple:
God, help me use the time I have been given
to do what I know is write.

No comments: