Thursday, February 22, 2007

Taking Bunny Outback

For her birthday
she wants to go to The Outback
or Red Lobster.
To me
going there is like going to McDonald’s
except that you sit down to order
and you have to leave a tip.
I want us to go to a nice restaurant,
you know,
where the food is actually cooked by someone
who cares.
If we go to an Italian restaurant I’d like an Italian chef in the back
or at least someone that’s studied Italian cooking in Italy,
not some pimply faced teenager slopping canned tomato sauce
on linguine so he can buy that ’78 Camaro he’s always wanted.
But that’s me,
I’m the oddball of the family.
I’m the one who always wanted to see those “weird” art films
when my sister and parents wanted to see Smokey and the Bandit.
I’m the one who doesn’t eat meat,
meditates,
and makes my bed in the morning.
I’m the one who writes poetry,
and songs,
and believes that “Zen and the Art of Archery”
actually has practical applications for life.
I’m the one who believes in following my dreams,
and that people can change,
and that everyday is a new day.
Yeah, I’m the weirdo.
So, I guess I should just shut-up
and let them eat wherever they want.
Because if I suggest a place,
chances are no one will like it.

No comments: