Monday, February 05, 2007

Superdumb

Yesterday,
I watched the Superbowl.
I don’t know why.
I found the entire event to be
somewhere between a bore
and an offensive hoopla.
It wasn’t just the laser light show
and the go-go dancers
worshiping Prince,
or the slamming of bodies
that bothered me.
It was the commercials.
They either celebrated big breasts,
burgers or beer.
I remember when Superbowl commercials
used to be some of the most creative things on t.v.
all year.
Not this year.
I can’t even remember one of them,
except that they all seemed either racially,
sexually, or monetarily offensive.
Maybe I’m completely out of step
with the rest of this world.
I don’t eat meat,
I rarely drink,
and I don’t have aspirations to drive a Lexus.
Maybe I don’t know what it means to be
an American.
But whatever the reason,
next year when the Superbowl comes on,
I’m not watching.

No comments: