Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Return of The Prince

And now,
behold,
the return of the Prince
with the sword,
and the key,
and the steed,
and the robe of illusion.
I have walked beside you
into the mud and muck
waiting
oh, waiting for you to lift me
and let me ride beside you.
But that was a dream,
a fool’s dream,
a little girl’s dream
lost
on deaf ears.
You are not a knight,
but a worm
and I am not a Princess,
but the ground
you slithered through
night after night.
So here we are
in the forest,
you balding,
and older,
me,
paler in color,
the rose of my cheek
fading,
my lithe form
rounder,
and softer.
My eyes tired
with age.
Why did you ever come at all?
You said,
“let down your hair.”
And I did.
You said,
“give me your heart.”
And I did.
You said,
“Let me see you naked.”
And I did.

No comments: