Thursday, December 21, 2006

Time To Be Free

It is time to get quiet now.
Time to get still.
I have been up for almost two hours,
picking up clothes,
putting away dishes,
and paying bills.
I have run from room to room
calling and faxing
and vacuuming.
I have eaten crackers to calm my stomach
and peppermint tea
to soothe what the antibiotics have destroyed.
I have checked email,
and cancelled appointments,
and fed the dog.
And I have done all of this with incredible ease
as if I were an octopus reaching my
tentacles into every room of the house,
and into every part of my existence.
It is easy to do things.
Things don’t matter.
And yet they must be done
in order to live in this world.
The problem is
I want to do more than things.
I want to walk in the woods
and smell the pines,
and hear the sound of leaves crunching
beneath my feet.
I want to lie on the grass
and dream of clouds
and let my mind wander
into plays and songs yet to be written.
I want to taste hot chocolate
And pecan pie
And leave my worry behind.
I want to be free.

No comments: