Monday, October 30, 2006

Happiness Is

Today I touched bottom,
or what I perceived as bottom.
Perhaps it’s not bottom at all.
Perhaps it’s only my imagination
telling me it’s bottom.
I tell myself I am unhappy.
But am I?
Perhaps I’m just telling myself that.
Maybe I’m incredibly happy
but don’t realize I’m happy.
Maybe I don’t know what happy is.
No,
that can’t be true.
Can it?
I know when I’m happy.
Don’t I?
Let’s see,
I’m happy when I’m writing.
I’m happy when I’m watching leaves fall in the backyard.
I’m happy when the hot water hits my back in the shower.
I’m happy walking through the park with my dog
and watching him chase squirrels.
I’m happy eating a giant brownie
(although I feel sick afterwards).
I’m happy going for drives in the country.
I’m happy singing my songs and eating pasta in Italy.
Yes,
I know when I’m happy.
And I’m unhappy.
Definitely.

No comments: