Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Imaginary Friend

I’m once again ready to run,
to give up myself.
The man with the knife is at the window again
and no one sees him but me.
When I call her
she hasn’t eaten all day.
She is sitting in front of the t.v. watching
“The Price is Right” or “Jeopardy”
or “Antique Roadshow”.
She is still wearing the same shirt
she threw up on
yesterday.
When I tell her I’m worried about her
she asks me a “jeopardy question” in response.
The man with the knife’s hand is on the door.
My sister, the doctor, isn’t concerned.
“It was a rainy night,. She didn’t want to go out for food.
She’ll eat tomorrow.”
As if that were perfectly normal.
But I am scared.
I want to run there and cook for her.
Bring her back to health
But it won’t matter.
After I leave
she’ll be back on the couch
eating take-out ,
or not eating at all.
The man with the knife is coming in.

No comments: