Monday, January 23, 2006

Edith Stick Your Head In The Oven

I am sitting here on hold,
listening to the musac
of the gas company.
Every so often a man’s voice comes on to say,
“Our Customer service representatives continue serving other customers.”
Then it goes back to the musac.
I have been on hold for ten minutes.
I really believe they
hope I'll get so annoyed
I’ll give up
and just pay the bill.
I’m about ready to,
except that I find it very hard to believe
that my gas bill should be two dollars more this month
than it was last month,
especially when I was out of town this month
and it was unusually warm here.
I have been on hold now for sixteen minutes.
I don’t know how much more I can take.
This is not how I’d want to spend my last
few hours on earth.
Tonight I’ll hear that crappy musac in my head
in my dreams.
They know that.
I know they know that.
I have now been on hold for eighteen minutes.
I’m hanging up in another five minutes.
I am.
I swear I am.
I have now been on hold for twenty three minutes.

No comments: