Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving At My House

For Thanksgiving
we had carrot soup,
fennel salad with walnuts and apples,
stuffing,
wild rice,
sweet potato casserole,
salmon,
green beans,
zucchini,
pumpkin pie,
and a $250 visit from the plumber.
It started Wednesday night,
when I stuck sweet potato peelings
down the disposal.
Big mistake.
Next thing I knew I was running to the store
for Liquid plumber,
which did nothing
except bubble and foam.
The next morning,
the clog was still there,
and so were the dirty dishes.
So we went to Wal-mart
and came home with a ‘snake’
which neither of us knew how to use.
After two hours of yelling, and snaking
and pouring more liquid plumber,
I called a plumber.
I was amazed at how many plumbers
were actually working on Thanksgiving.
We called Waylon.
He showed up in less than an hour.
He first told us it would be about $100
but that was before he had to crawl under the house,
cut pipe and spend two and a half hours with us
on Thanksgiving
when he could have been home with his family,
watching football and eating
a drumstick.
When he told me $250,
I didn't care.
I wanted my sink back,
and my dishwasher,
and my stuffing.
I wanted Thanksgiving back
before it was over with.
So I handed him my Visa,
and at four o’clock,
I was eating,
and everything
everything
was going down.

No comments: