Monday, May 20, 2013

Hathaway


Each day the hurdles come.
The phone calls.
The sleepless nights.
The pull of faces and lives
I have no business knowing anything about.
I sit in the chair.
A twisted wreck of arms
and legs
each one determined to find its way
out
in the opposite direction of the other.
Here at my desk
I listen to the robins’ call
and watch the grass grow taller.
Words I once thought had meaning,
stare back at me
like lost children
desperate
to find their way
home.
It used to be so simple,
sitting and writing,
like picking figs from my grandmother’s
backyard.
Cramming
the sweet purple flesh
into my mouth
and dropping the skins on the lawn
for others to eat.
The Texas sun,
hot on my little girl legs.
My Sunday-school sandals
white leather new,
with the shiny silver buckles
running from fig to fig
as if I were gathering secrets.
My collarbone long healed
from the fall
I took in the 
Bob's Big Boy restaurant. 

No comments: