Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Frozen


It is like that now.
Everything hurts.
My low back.
My inner thighs clamped against each other.
The smell of Ben-Gay in my office
leading me
to places I haven’t touched in years.
How easily broken I am.
And have always been.
The porcelain doll
with the frozen green eyes,
dressed in lace.
My red lips
cursing,
the day.
When did it get so hard?
I want to run,
Mother.
Into the yard
and swing from the trapeze,
the way I did when I was little.
When I could still hang upside down
without throwing up.
When I thought the sun was a jewel
I could keep in my music box.
Legs wide.
Feet tight.
That metal chain seemed to reach the sky
and never let me
fall,
once.
You watched from the side
while you backwashed the pool
or picked up the occasional stick or pinecone,
or yelled at the yardman for not showing up when he was supposed to.
The neighbors’ dogs on the other side of the wooden fence,
barking,
always barking,
while the ants crawl up my dress.

No comments: