Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Bad Isn't Good Anymore

It’s getting less fun
to be bad.
I can’t drink anymore.
Half a glass of anything
leaves me drunk.
And what’s more,
I don’t even enjoy the sensation.
Last week,
I had a couple of sips of a Mojito in New Orleans.
I could barely walk a straight line to the bathroom.
The room was spinning,
my face was flush, and I felt like I might end up face first in my plate of black beans and rice.
It wasn’t pretty.
I didn’t feel relaxed and I can’t say I’m glad I did it.
Same goes for sugar.
It’s starting to lose its thrill for me.
Doughnuts and cookies and cake
used to hold me spellbound.
I can still see those giant deli coconut cakes
spinning round and round in Alfred’s glass deli case,
a giant piece cut out
and all that golden yellow cake and white cream
staring back at me.
Getting a slice used to be more enticing than a trip to Disneyland.
Now, the thought of cake makes me sick.
I can feel my head start to spin and my eye sockets start to dry up and I feel fuzzy.
More and more
there is less and less that interests me
in the “what I’m supposed to enjoy” part of this world.
I don’t know how other people do it.
How do they eat and drink and smoke and live
and fill their minds with endless distractions?
There must be a place for someone like me.
There must be.

No comments: