Thursday, March 09, 2006

God Is In the Ryman

I’m coming back.
Like the little tulip shooting out of the ground
at the first hint of warmth,
it’s tiny bud emerging with green,
I’m coming back.
I’m starting to believe
that it can happen,
that my dreams can become as real as anyone’s.
I had forgotten that.
But last night at the Ryman I saw
Belle and Sebastian
and I had a “religious” experience.
I heard the choir sing
and I let their music fill me up
in places I had forgotten I had.
I stood up and danced and threw my head around
until I felt sick.
I let the rush of the music
and the purple lights and the jangle
strum
jangle
beat inside me
like a happy lover.
And I thought,
yes,
this is what it could be.
This is what it feels like
to be
free.
To be
alive.
To taste the sweetness
of oneself.

No comments: