Friday, July 01, 2016

Holding on to Fofo

There isn’t much time now,
is there?
You and I sit together
on the edge.
Me on the chair,
and you on the bed.
I watch your face,
your eyes,
your lips,
to see
what you still know.
Your lips pooch forward,
strained,
as if trying to find somewhere to land,
an alien ship of sorts.
Hands limp as broken butterflies
by your side.
You tell me not to worry.
You tell me everything will be o.k.
You tell me you are fine.
But how can I believe you?
You do not know what day it is.
Or where you are.
Or who the president is.
Or how much I will miss you
when you are gone.
I hold your hand.
Stick my finger in yours
and hold on,
like I did
when I was a little girl.
Now, I do not know what I am holding on to.
You are already gone,
slipping away from me
faster
than I could have believed possible.
It is all happening too soon.
I am still standing on that fake white box
in my red Christmas dress,
holding your hand,
your face just out of the frame,
holding on and crying just like now,
trying to get something from you,
I could never have.
Holding on and crying –

Fofo.

No comments: