Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Nervous Kitty


I knew the green tea
was a bad idea.
Like licking wallpaper,
or pulling my eyebrows out
two at a time.
I am too nervous already.
Too ready to jump
like the cat
who sleeps beneath
the shed in my backyard.
But I did it anyway.
I drank it after noon.
I drank it knowing my mother
was going to the hospital
and I was going to have to wait
for my sister’s call.
I have been through this before.
The I.V.’s.
The blood draws.
The X-rays to see
what is wrong.
The two green lights blinking.
My mother confident
she will die if one of them goes off.
Barking dogs.
The sundowning.
The yells and restraints.
The biting of tongues
and arms
and residents.
The shaking of heads,
and endless marveling
at the strength of one
so small.
I am biting my nails now.
Waiting.
Always waiting. 

No comments: