Friday, April 19, 2013

Drowning in Puddles


My brain is
waiting for Sunday.
Trying to touch bottom,
unsure of
where bottom is.
Down into the deep,
the blood and the cold
sink further,
always hoping,
there will be sand.
It’s like that now.
I float without end,
lost in a birdbath
that barely contains an inch of water.
Drowning in puddles.
How absurd,
that I,
a grown woman,
capable of opening doors and
windows,
can not make sense out of loss
or cold.
I sip nettle tea,
shovel meat down my throat
and pray
to reach bottom.
But further I fall.
The helicopters come
spinning their blades at me,
shattering my silence.
My blue sky.
Still I fall.
As if I could change a thing.
The last robin bathed
for the night.
The ceramic base waits empty
full of water.
Tomorrow,
they will be back again, 
just like my blood. 

No comments: