Thursday, February 14, 2008

Highly Recommended

She’s listening to clairvoyants now,
and having EFT sessions,
and paying pet psychics to come over and communicate with her dead dog.
She’s going to tarot card readings,
and having herbal allergy testing done,
and going to acupuncturists,
even though she barely has one hundred dollars in her two accounts.
When I hang up the phone after speaking with her,
I feel scared.
She is so certain,
all because some “highly recommended” clairvoyant said so.
She told her she’ll get her job,
and her license, and sell her house in five months,
if she fixes it up some,
and gets a realtor.
Doesn’t sound very psychic to me.
The weird part is,
she believes every word they tell her.
She doesn’t doubt any of them.
The shaman.
The psychic.
Or the herbalist.
She pays them money and they tell her what she wants to hear.
Maybe I am the one being too cynical.
I seem to have lost my faith in most things.
My future feels as dead as the fish I kissed this morning.
Still, I don’t believe the answer to everything is to pay someone.
If I want to communicate with my dog,
I go up on the hill and sit by his grave and listen.
I don’t need to pay someone seventy-five dollars to tell me what he’s thinking.
I know.

No comments: