Saturday, January 26, 2008

Made From Scratch

Today it is gray and cold
and the snow that was promised never came.
I left the lights on last night
hoping to see it fall,
but when morning arrived,
the grass was still green
and there was nothing but disappointment in the air.
It is like that now.
One promise after another
left unfulfilled.
I arrived at their apartment
to find them both dressed.
She in her grey pants and green sweater.
He in his khakis,
both looking more alive than usual,
both excited to see the new puppy.
I cooked them broccoli and ravioli
and mashed potatoes made from scratch.
I helped her with her pills and her shot
and made them scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast.
I watched her lie on the bed while the puppy licked her face
over and over
nipping at her ears.
She laughed and screamed like a child.
He told me adopting the dog
was one of the only good things I ever did in my life.
We sat with them for two hours talking and watching the cooking channel
and promising them trips we would never take with them.
At noon,
my father opened up a can of Campbell’s Chicken Noodle soup,
stuck it in the microwave,
nuked it,
and ate it.
He didn’t even bother to add the required can of water to it.

No comments: