Monday, November 26, 2007

Furry Boots

All week it rained.
I wanted to go shopping
and buy myself a pair of furry boots
but the rain kept me in.
Who wants to shop in the rain?
Not me.
I wanted to buy some warm tights
that I could wear with short dresses
but I didn’t buy anything.
Instead,
I sat inside and watched the leaves fall off the trees.
I sat inside
and looked at my old clothes and old shoes
and wondered when the rain would end.
I thought about going out
but it seemed like too much trouble.
Who wants to get wet when you can stay inside and have hot tea?
Shopping always leaves me depressed anyway.
Either the shoes don’t fit,
or I think I’m too fat,
or I refuse to buy something because it’s Made in China.
It’s getting harder and harder to buy anything that isn’t Made in China.
So I didn’t buy anything.
I had tea,
and read poems,
and walked around the house in my socks
and dreamed of furry boots.

No comments: