Monday, March 05, 2007

Breathing In Chicken Fat

I am so excited.
I can barely sit.
I am leaving this town.
This boring, stale,
close-minded town.
I am leaving the cicadas,
and the trucks and the tobacco.
I am leaving the anti-abortion stickers,
and the pro W people,
and the phonies who promise
but never deliver.
I am leaving the doughnuts,
and the toothless
and the slow.
I am leaving suburbia.
I can feel it now,
the water.
I can hear the traffic,
the buses,
the cabs,
the trains.
I can see myself on that bridge,
that balcony,
eating Chinese
that tastes like Chinese,
feet in the sand,
watching the sunset
with the harbor below,
shopping
at real stores,
dining
and not leaving nauseous.
I feel so free,
like I am starting the next chapter of my life.
Whatever it will bring,
I know it will be better
than breathing in chicken fat.

No comments: