Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Somewhere

Somewhere.
We
got lost.
In between the yelling,
and the screaming,
and the phone calls,
and the hallways.
Somewhere
what we once had
vanished,
evaporated
like steam coming off a pot of pasta.
Your laugh,
(you used to laugh in your sleep),
made me laugh.
I remember you
standing in the kitchen,
making me eggs
with your Italian accent,
entertaining the dog.
Being
everything I ever wanted.
We were so alive then.
Running
to Memphis
for grilled cheese sandwiches
and midnight dancing in juke joints.
We prayed with Al in the morning
then spent the afternoon fucking in some cheap Motel.
You couldn’t get enough
of my body,
my breasts,
my tongue.
Your hands ran up and down me
like a blind man searching for a key.
I purred and arched like a cat
beneath you.
Afterwards we lay in arms
breathing in each other’s air
with such ferocity
that only one breath
could exist
between us.

No comments: